Name and Position (Contact details):
Dr. Sylas V.P.
School of Environmental Sciences,
Mahatma Gandhi University,
Priyadarsini Hills P.O.
E-mail - email@example.com
Web: www.mgu.ac.in; www.sesmgu.in
Education : M.Sc., Ph.D.
Area of Specialization : Biodiversity Conservation, Ecology and Bioenergy
Research Interests :
1. Wetland Ecology
2. Microalgae and its applications - biofuel production, waste water treatment, carbon sequestration etc.
3. Biological Hydrogen production
4. Biodiversity studies
6. Community based water and sanitation
7. Environmental Education
1) Jerry Mechery, Biji B., Daniya M. Thomas and Sylas V.P. (2017). Biohydrogen production by locally isolated facultative bacterial species using the biomass of Eichhornia crassipes: effect of acid and alkali treatment. Energy, Ecology and Environment: DOI 10.1007/s40974-017-0069-4 (Springer)
2) Anila B.N., Muraleedharan Nair M.K., Jisha Sreedharan and Sylas V.P. (2017). Synthesis, Characterization, Molecular Modeling, Antimicrobial and DNA Binding Studies of Cobalt(II) Complexes of 2,3-(Diimino-4'-antipyrinyl)butane with Varying Counter Ions. Asian Journal of Chemistry 29(3) : 691-702. doi.org/10.14233/ajchem.2017.20344
3) Daniya M. Thomas, Mechery Jerry and V. P. Sylas (2016) Carbon dioxide capture strategies from flue gas using microalgae: A review. Environ. Sci. pollut. Res. 23 (17): 16926–16940. DOI 10.1007/s11356-016-7158-3. (Springer)
4) K. Raisa and V. P. Sylas (2016) Heavy metal tolerance pattern and antibiotic susceptibility of Chromobacterium piscinae, an opportunistic pathogen isolated from the Rhizosphere of water hyacinth. Acade. J. Microbiol. Res., 4(5): 086-091. DOI: 10.15413/ajmr.2016.0111.
5) M. T. Daniya, M. Jerry and V. P. Sylas (2016) Isolation of native flue gas tolerant microalga from a mixed culture grown under stress condition, Intr. J. Environ. Scie. 6(6): 970-978. DOI:10.6088/ijes.6091
6) Sylas V.P., Mary Jaimol Antony, John C. Mathew and A.P. Thomas (2015). Distribution of phytoplankton in relation with water quality of Alappuzha- Changanasserry Canal of Kuttanad Wetland Ecosystem, Southern India. International Journal of Current Research. Vol. 7 (3). 13738 - 13743 pp.
7) Raisa Kabeer, Rinoy Varghese, Jayasooryan K.K., Joshy K.G, Praveenkumar C.S. and V.P. Sylas (2014). Removal of copper by Eichhornia crassipes and the characterization of associated microflora of the rhizosphere system. Environment Asia. Vol. 7 (2): 19-29. DOI 10.14456/ea.2014.20.
8) Kabeer Raisa, Varghese Rinoy, Kannan V.M., John Richard Thomas and V.P. Sylas (2014). Rhizosphere bacterial diversity and heavy metal accumulation in Nymphaea pubescens in aid of phytoremediation potential. Journal of Bioscience and Biotechnology Vol. 3 (1) : 89 - 95 pp.
9) Bull C., Tang C. and Sylas V.P. (2012). Rainwater harvesting in an Indian Village. World Environmental and Water Resource Congress. ASCE Publication. 768 -775pp. doi.org/10.1061/41114(371)85
10) John C.M., Sylas V.P., Joby Paul and Unni K.S. (2009). Floating Islands in a tropical wetland of Peninsular India. Wetlands Ecology and Management,17 (6):641-653. DOI 10.1007/s11273-009-9140-z. (Springer)
11) P. C. Abhilash, Nandita Singh, V. P. Sylas, B. Ajay Kumar, John C. Mathew, R. Satheesh and A. P. Thomas (2008): Eco-distribution Mapping of Invasive Weed Limnocharis flava (L.) Buchenau Using Geographical Information System: Implications for Containment and Integrated Weed Management for Ecosystem Conservation. Taiwania, 53(1): 30 – 41. DOI: 10.6165/tai.2008.53(1).30
12) T. Bindu, V.P. Sylas, M. Mahesh, P.S. Rakesh and E.V. Ramasamy (2008). Pollutant removal from domestic wastewater with Taro (Colocasia esculenta) planted in a subsurface flow system. Ecological Engineering 1257: 1 – 15. doi:10.1016/j.ecoleng.2008.02.007 (Elsevier)
• Research Group: 7 students are currently doing Ph.D.
• Research collaborations: Participant of Obama-Singh 21st Century Knowledge Initiative Programme, UGC, Government of India with Brown University, USA. (Prof. Christopher Bull, Senior Professor, School of Civil Engineering, Brown University, USA).
Research projects (Completed and Ongoing):
1. An investigation on the potential microalgal species for the production of biodiesel from Kuttanad wetland ecosystem, Kerala. Funded by UGC (Major Research Project) (2012 – 2015) - 8.5 Lakhs (completed).
2. Rhizosphere remediation of agro-pollutants: A case study from Kuttanad wetland ecosystem, Kerala – funded by DoECC, Govt. of Kerala – 0.4 Lakhs. (Completed).
3. Enzymatic saccharification of water hyacinth for the production of bioethanol : control by utilization approach - funded by DoECC, Govt. of Kerala – 0.4 Lakhs. (Completed).
4. An Interdisciplinary and Community oriented Innovative approach towards Sustainable Development - Obama Singh 21st Century Knowledge Initiative Award to SES, MGU – Co-investigator of Programme – 1. (125 lakhs) – Completed on August 2016.
5. Environmental Monitoring and Sustainable Utilization of Vembanad Wetland Ecosystem funded by Govt. of Kerala – as Co-investigator (ongoing)
Other Research Experiences (Within or abroad India):
1. Participant of Brown International Advanced Research Institute (BIARI) – 2013 at Brown University, RI, USA.
Any Other Relevant Career Information:
1. Life Member of Indian Association of Aquatic Biologists (IAAB), Hyderabad, India. (Membership No. LM- 452)
2. Warden, Men’s Hostel, Mahatma Gandhi University (August 2014 onwards)
3. Question Paper setter of Kerala Public Service Commission (KPSC), Govt. of Kerala
4. Member, Board of Studies, Environmental Sciences, MG University
5. Question paper setter (Environmental Science) of MG, Kerala, Kannur and Malayalam Universities.