Dr. JOHN. C. MATHEW
Guest Faculty, School of Environmental Sciences
Ph: +91-481-2732120/620 (O), +91 9446058120 (Mob.)
Fax: +91 481 2732620
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Mahatma Gandhi University
Priya Darshini Hills-P.O
Area of Research
Remote sensing and GIS
• Aquatic Ecology
• Wetland Studies
• Spectral characteristics of aquatic macrophytes and spatial distribution modeling
Professional membership and responsibilities
- Member of the Panel of GIS experts constituted by the IT dept., Govt. of Kerala.
- Life member of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing
- Life member of the Indian Society of Geomatics
- Member of the Governing Body and Chairman of ORGIN (Oganisation for Geoinformatics), an autonomous institution registered with Govt. of Kerala under Travancore-Cochin Scientific and Charitable Societies Act 1955 – Reg. No. T661/08 – established for the popularization of the use of geoinformatics among the masses and convince governments. (URL: www.orgin.in). Chief Editor of Disha – an e-Magazine on Geoinformatics is the first prestigious publication of ORGIN
|1||John C. M., Sylas V. P., Joby Paul and Unni K.S. 2009. Floating islands in a tropical wetland of Peninsular India. Wetlands Ecology and Management, 17: 641-653: DOI 10.1007/s11273-009-9140-z.|
|2||Abhilash P. C., Nandita Singh, Sylas V. P., Ajay Kumar B., John C. M., R. Satheesh, A. P. Thomas. 2008. Eco-distribution Mapping of Invasive Weed Limnocharis flava (L.)Buchenau Using Geographical Information System: Implications for Containment and Integrated Weed Management for Ecosystem Conservation. Taiwania 53(1): 30-41.|
|3||Sreelakshmi K., Tharian George K., Thomas, A. P., John C. M. and Vijith H. 2007. Pollution impact assessment based on GIS: Preliminary observations on rubber processing industry in Kerala. Working Paper ER/2, Rubber Research Institute of India, Kottayam.|
|4||John C. M., Sudha, T. M. and Gopinath, S. 2001. Suitable Site Identification for Constructing High Rise Residential Buildings using GIS – A Case Study of Thiruvananthapuram City. GIS@Development, Dec 2001, Centre for Spatial Data Management Systems. Noida.|
|Ph.D||‘A taxonomic and ecological study of the aquatic macrophytes of Kuttanad wetlands with special reference to spatial and temporal distribution using remote sensing and GIS techniques’ at School of Environmental Sciences, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam (2010)|
|M.Sc.||Environment Management (1998)|
|2010||Remote sensing and GIS applications in Forestry & Ecology under National Natural Resource Management System (NNRMS)||Indian Institute of Remote Sensing, NRSC, ISRO, Dehradun|
|2004||Atmospheric Remote Sensing at Fourth Winter School on Indian MST Radar||National Atmospheric Research Laboratory of ISRO, Department of Space, Government of India, Gadanki, Tirupathi.|
|2003||Training Programme on ERDAS Imagine and Imagine Ortho Base Pro||ERDAS India Pvt Ltd., Hyderabad|
|2003||Training Programme on ArcGIS 8.3 and all extensions||ESRI India, Bangalore|
|2001||Training in Oracle and VB||LBS Centre for Science and Technology, Govt. of Kerala, TVM|
|1999||Training Programme on EASIPACE and SPANS||TRICAD Design Consultants, Hyderabad|
|1998||G-MAP (Masters Application Programme in GIS)||Pentafour Communications Ltd. Chennai, India.|
Completed 19 research projects and a number of consultancies. Trained more than 90 professionals in GIS and Remote Sensing Applications. Prepared the Course Curriculum and study materials of three courses on GIS & RS applications recognised by Department of Space, Government of India.
Faculty (Remote Sensing and GIS)------------------------------ Nov 2002 to till date
Dr. R. Satheesh Centre for Remote Sensing and GIS
School of Environmental Sciences, Mahatma Gandhi University
It is the centralized facility of the University for Remote Sensing and GIS applications established in 2003 with the full support of ISRO as a joint venture of ISRO and M. G. University under the National Natural Resources Management System (NNRMS).
Responsible for the training courses and other research programmes of the Centre & School in the field of remote sensing and GIS applications.
SRF in the project of the School titled “Assessment of explosive aquatic weed growth, their taxonomy, ecology and impact on the Kuttanad wetland ecosystem, Kerala, India" funded by the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF), Govt. of India.
Was the programme co-ordinator of the pioneering extension programme of the School named 'Rainwater for Humanity' done in collaboration with the Brown University, USA - www.rainwaterforhumanity.org. Now he is part of the Team
Scientist and Co-ordinator --------------------------- July 2001 to Oct 2002
Institute of Geoinformatics
Agriculture and Ecosystem Management Group (AGES)
Thiruvanathapuram, Kerala, India.
AGES is an autonomous R&D and teaching orgainsation, registered with Govt. of Kerala under the literary, scientific and charitable societies act 1955. It started a separate wing for Geoinformatics applications on the eve of the 21st century with the name Institute of Geoinformatics.
Played key niche of the coordinator of the institute, which conducts courses and do projects and consultancy works in association with Kerala State Remote Sensing and Environment Centre, the nodal centre of ISRO, Department of Space in Kerala.
Scientist cum GIS Expert and Co-ordinator -------------------------- Nov 1998 to July 2001 Geoinformatics Division
Centre for Environment and Development (CED)
Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India.
CED is an autonomous research and teaching institution in the fields related with environment and development, registered under the Literary, Scientific and Charitable Societies Act (1955). This include Pollution monitoring and environmental impact assessment of industrial areas, environmental impact assessment and design analysis of fishing harbours, environmental appraisal river basins, solid waste management programs, preparation of resource maps, water quality analysis, environmental education and various training programs. The center has also facilities for utilizing Remote Sensing Data and Aerial Photographs, Geographical information System (GIS), Digital Image Processing (DIP) and many other software packages and a laboratory for water and soil analysis.
Involved and played a key role as the Co-ordinator of the GIS division and the Chief Instructor of the GIS training programmes of the Centre. Spearheaded all the GIS projects and consultancy works and GIS software development of the Centre. The centre’s first and foremost product ‘Nemmara-LIS’ is the pioneer work in this direction in Kerala.
Research Associate/Trainee -------------------------------- Sept 1997 – May 1998
CED, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India.
Involved in projects like Cause – Consequence Analysis of Conversion of Rice Ecosystem in Kerala, sponsored by Dept. of Science and Technology, Govt. of India, Study of the Landuse changes and its impact on the agricultural production in Kumarakom Panchayat sponsored by Natural Resources Data Management System (NRDMS), Dept. of Science and Technology, Govt. of India, and Afforestation and Regeneration of Mangrove Ecosystem in Kumarakom Area of Kerala sponsored by WWF – India, New Delhi.
Major Research Projects / Consultancy Works Completed / Involved
- Study of the land use changes and its impact on the agricultural production in Kumarakom panchayat in Kuttanad. (Internship Trainee)
- Cause-consequence analysis of conversion of rice ecosystem in Kerala. (Research Associate)
- Afforestation and regeneration of mangrove ecosystem in Kumarakom Area of Kerala (One of the Investigator Scientist)
- Modelling Studies of Thalai Fishing Harbour. Harbour Engineering Dept., Govt. of Kerala (One of the Investigator Scientist)
- Study of the fish biodiversity and associated aspects in selected shola forests of Kerala. (One of the Investigator Scientist)
- Study of the ecological and environmental aspects of four river basins system in Kuttanad. MoEF, Govt. of India (One of the Investigator Scientist)
- Survey, mapping and inventory of wetlands in Kerala for sustainable utilisation and management – Part of the World Bank funded Kerala Forestry Project. (One of the Investigator Scientist)
- EIA of the proposed Kodungalloor port complex., RRL, Trivandrum (One of the Investigator Scientist)
- GIS based Submergence analysis of the proposed Pooyamkutty Hydro-electric project as part of EIA of the project funded by Kerala State Electricity Board (Principal Investigator Scientist)
- Guided 42 student projects at M. Sc., M. Phil. and Short-term course levels having applications of GIS and Remote Sensing.
- Giving Consultation to Geo Data Integrators (GDI), Coimbatore.
- A documentary on Mangroves of Kumarakom as part of the WWF sponsored project ‘Afforestation and Regeneration of the Mangrove Ecosystem in Kumarakom Area of Kerala. (Script and Direction)
- Water Scooping Study of Kerala Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Agency (KRWSA), World Bank funded project of Govt. of Kerala. (One of the Investigator Scientist and GIS Expert)
- Integrated Land and Water Management (IMSD) Plan of Nediyirippu and Pookottur GPs in Malappuram District – World Bank & Govt. of Kerala (One of the Investigator Scientist and GIS Expert)
- A comprehensive study of two major sub watersheds of Meenachil River in the Western Ghats of Kerala through a Geo-ecological approach. Planning Board, Govt. of Kerala (One of the Investigator Scientist and GIS Expert)
- Assessment of explosive aquatic weed growth, their taxonomy, ecology and impact of the Kuttanad wetland ecosystem, Kerala State. MoEF, Govt. of India (SRF)
- Suitable Site Identification for Constructing High Rise Residential Buildings using GIS – A Case Study of Thiruvananthapuram City. Dept. of Town and Country Planning, Govt. of Kerala (Chief Supervisor of the Student Project)
- Municipal GIS – A Pilot Project of Ward No. 7, Kottayam Municipality (Supervisor of the Student Project)
- Identification of microlevel agro-meteorological zones of Idukki district, Kerala using satellite images and GIS (For Spices Board under IGBP programme - Principal Investigator)